Introduction to the Parent Support Group
Being an active participant opens the door to bond together as a community. It is a fun, easy way to meet the other families on the team. You’ll have the opportunity to get to know the families in your child’s group(s), which makes arranging social events and/or carpools to practices and team events easier.
The greatest impact that the Parent Support Group has on the club is when we host swim meets at the GWC aquatics facility (and in future at the OVHS site). The operations of the pool including rental, maintenance, and acquiring new or upgrading equipment (wet/dry) are paid for by the funds raised by hosting these meets. In recent years, GWSC also added a Swim-A-Thon and were selected (by lottery) to run a fireworks stand in July 2013. With the funds raised at these two events alone, the club was able to purchase new touch pads and team logoed canopies.
Volunteer Requirement Overview and Sign Up Instructions
The GWSC Volunteer Commitment Agreement discusses the details of your service requirement at the upcoming meets. A number of parent volunteers are necessary to host a successful swim meet. The experience of our parent volunteers is that it was busy, but fun. There are a wide variety of jobs to select from. Each is equally important to ensure the swimmers, coaching staff, and meet administration officials have a wonderful experience. The jobs include those you would typically expect to see on deck such as check in, posting heat sheets, deck marshals, staging, and runners. But, there are also positions that can be done before or after the meet and at home including food prep and dish clean up. Some of you are already accustomed to these types of volunteer requirements through the summer league programs at Green Valley and Greenbrook. Instead of every weekend, we will be asked to support just a handful of events each year. Our goal is to make all jobs easy and fun.
How to sign up for volunteer jobs:
- Review your email(s) from Team Unify and watch for those announcing upcoming job sign ups. They are usually sent out 3-4 weeks in advance (see the meet schedule below).
- Login to the TeamUnify portal with your username and password.
- Go to the “Events” – “Swim Meets” section of the home page.
- Scroll down to the Specific meet, and click on “Job Signup” box. This will bring up the list of jobs and shifts.
- Check the boxes next to the shifts that you would like to sign up for.
- When you have selected all of your shifts, click on the “Signup” box with the green circle next to it. Your name will show in bold next to the shifts that you selected.
- All jobs are filled on a first come, first serve basis